New Zealanders living in Australia should always have a valid passport. (Photo: Nomad Concepts)
Date last modified: 05 November 2018
Do not wait for a family emergency before renewing your New Zealand passport.
The Special Category Visa granted to New Zealanders remains valid, even if their passport expires. However, Oz Kiwi strongly recommends maintaining a valid passport. This is especially important if you have whānau living overseas.
Your passport must be valid if you:
- have been granted a permanent visa, or
- are applying for a visa or citizenship.
NZ Passport processing times
Online New Zealand passport processing times and application fees:
- 10 days – standard processing Adult NZD$180 Child NZD$105
- 3 days – express processing Adult NZD$360 Child NZD$285
Paper-based New Zealand passport applications processed in Australia:
- 10 days – standard processing Adult AUD$215 Child AUD$126
- 3 days – express processing Adult AUD$430 Child AUD$341
Full details of passport and courier fees, including online applications, can be found on the New Zealand Department of Internal Affairs website passport costs page.
After hours processing
If you need a passport urgently between 4 pm and 10 pm weekdays or 8 am to 10 pm weekends, call New Zealand Passports on 1300 55 95 35.
The urgent fee for an Adult is AUD$826 and a Child is AUD$737.
Children born in Australia
Both parents need to complete the application form.
Processing times for New Zealand citizenship by descent and passport applications lodged in Sydney:
- 30 working days – standard processing AUD$407
- 10 working days – express processing AUD$622
Australian citizens must depart and enter Australia on an Australian passport
Thank you for your support.