Resident Return Visa travel capacity

Being granted a Resident Return Visa (RRV) makes you are a Permanent Resident and allows you to reside in Australia indefinitely. Please be aware that:

  • RRV has a 12 month travel capacity, valid until the Must Not Arrive After date on your Visa Grant Notice
  • you can be outside of Australia for a up to 90 days during the 12 months, with some work-related exceptions
  • you must renew your RRV if you are travelling overseas after the initial 12 months
  • if necessary, you can renew your RRV online before re-entering Australia
  • after residing in Australia, as a permanent resident, for two years you will be granted a five-year travel capacity when renewing your RRV


New Zealanders re-entering Australia without renewing their RRV will be issued a Special Category Visa. This will delay or prevent them from applying for citizenship.


You can check your visa status using Visa Entitlement Verification Online (VEVO)

Renewing your Resident Return Visa

Example Visa Grant Notice indicating the travel capacity information:

Visa Grant Notice

Oz Kiwi is run by volunteers and entirely funded by public donations. Donations can be made via PayPal or credit card.

Comments are closed.