18 October 2017
Despite this, Peter Dutton still intends overhaul citizenship laws. If you apply for citizenship on or after 1 July 2018 (subject to the legislation passing) you will need to have resided as a permanent resident for four years.
Anyone granted RRV who re-enters Australia beyond the Must Not Arrive After date on their Visa Grant Notice will become an SCV-holder again. They must reapply for RRV and reside for another year as a permanent resident before applying for citizenship. (Four years if the citizenship changes are passed).
Being granted a Resident Return Visa (RRV) makes you are a Permanent Resident and allows you to reside in Australia indefinitely. Please be aware that:
- RRV has a 12 month travel capacity, valid until the Must Not Arrive After date on your Visa Grant Notice
- you can be outside of Australia for a up to 90 days during the 12 months, with some work-related exceptions
- you must renew your RRV online if you are travelling overseas after the initial 12 months (it can take 12 weeks to be processed if you’ve haven’t held PR for 2 years).
- if necessary, you can renew your RRV online before re-entering Australia
- after residing in Australia, as a permanent resident, for two years you will be granted a five-year travel capacity when renewing your RRV
If it is less than two years since you were first granted RRV you will be required to submit certified copies of your supporting documents and a written statement about your ties to Australia.
You will also need to include your New Zealand criminal conviction history if you have not previously provided one.
New Zealanders re-entering Australia without renewing their RRV will be issued a Special Category Visa. This will delay or prevent them from applying for citizenship. Even if you have a valid travel facility, ask the Immigration official to confirm you hold a permanent visa.
If you become an SCV-holder again, then reapply for RRV, the proposed citizenship changes could see you having to reside for another four years before applying for citizenship.
Example Visa Grant Notice indicating the travel capacity information:
Thank you for your support.