The Australian government recently announced an additional pathway to citizenship, for some New Zealand special category visa-holders (SCV), available from 1 July 2017. It is estimated that up to half of the non-protected SCV New Zealanders residing in Australia are not eligible for the new pathway.
To give all New Zealanders residing in Australia a fair pathway to citizenship, Oz Kiwi recommends:
- removing the income and health eligibility criteria for the additional pathway to citizenship
- making the additional pathway to citizenship available to all, regardless of their arrival date
- reducing costs and simplifying the process for those seeking citizenship
How you can help
You may also wish to contact Hon Tony Burke MP, the Shadow Minister for Citizenship and Multicultural Australia. Also email a PDF of your letter the New Zealand Minister of Foreign Affairs, Hon Winston Peters MP.
Explain why you or your family aren’t eligible, and what becoming a citizen would mean to you. Ask what their position is on a fair citizenship pathway for all New Zealanders residing in Australia. You can:
- write to them using our Fair Pathway letter template
- meet with them, or a staff member, at their electorate office
- speak to them at a mobile office or public event
- call their electorate office or Parliament House office
- message them via email or their website
- post a comment on their Facebook or Twitter
Find your Federal electorate
Download our Fair Pathway letter template
Include a copy of the Oz Kiwi Rights Comparison Table March 2016 with your letter or email
Include a copy of the Oz Kiwi Policy Options Paper with your letter or email
Download our follow up letter template if you get no reply or no clear answer your questions
Thank you for your support.