Anyone granted RRV who re-enters Australia beyond the Must Not Arrive After date on their Visa Grant Notice will become an SCV-holder again. They must reapply for RRV and reside for another year as a permanent resident before applying for citizenship. (Four years if the proposed citizenship changes are passed).
Resident Return Visa
Being granted a Resident Return Visa (RRV) makes you a permanent resident, allowing you to reside in Australia indefinitely. However, you must renew your RRV travel capacity if travelling overseas after the initial 12 months. Standard processing time is 6 to 43 days, some applicants have waited eight weeks.
You will need to provide:
- a completed and signed Form 80 Personal Particulars for Character Assessment (now required for all visa and citizenship applications).
- a NZ criminal history check, regardless of how long you’ve lived in Australia.
- New Zealand Ministry of Justice Consent to Disclosure of Information form. The MoJ request ID number is shown on your NZ police check.
New Zealanders re-entering Australia without renewing their RRV will be issued a Special Category Visa. This may delay them from applying for citizenship. Even if you have a valid travel facility, ask the Immigration official to confirm you hold a permanent visa.
The Resident Return Visa has a 12 month travel capacity. Please be aware that:
- you can be outside of Australia for a up to 90 days of the 12 months, with some work-related exceptions.
- you must renew your RRV online if you are travelling overseas after the initial 12 months
- DO NOT re-enter Australia after the Must Not Arrive After date on your Visa Grant Notice. You will become an SCV-holder again and may have to wait another year, after renewing your RRV, before applying for citizenship.
- If you are travelling overseas after the 12 month anniversary date has passed you will need to renew your RRV. If necessary, you can renew online before re-entering Australia.
You can check your visa status using Visa Entitlement Verification Online (VEVO).
How to renew your Resident Return Visa
Renew your RRV online to avoid the $80 non-internet application fee:
- Create an ImmiAccount
- Log into your ImmiAccount
- Select the New Application button
- Select Resident Return
- Complete the application form and identity declaration
- Upload your supporting documents and, if required, your statement of ties to Australia.
- The RRV application fee is $365, there is no concession or child fee
- Your passport must be valid for at least another six months
- Renewals take 6-43 days to be processed, but allow up to eight weeks
- You should not need to supply a written statement or any supporting documents
- Include your New Zealand criminal conviction history if you have not previously submitted it to DIBP
- After being a permanent resident for two of the last five years you will be granted a five-year travel facility when renewing your RRV
If you would like to know more about RRV refer to Resident Return visa (subclass 155)
Have a question?
Phone the Department of Immigration on 13 18 81 or contact them via social media. Please do not provide your personal details on a public forum.
Oz Kiwi is run by volunteers and entirely funded by public donations. Donations can be made via PayPal or credit card.