Resident Return Visa travel capacity
Being granted a Resident Return Visa (RRV) makes you a permanent resident, allowing you to reside in Australia indefinitely. However, you must renew your RRV travel capacity if travelling overseas after the initial 12 months.
New Zealanders re-entering Australia without renewing their RRV will be issued a Special Category Visa. This may delay them from applying for citizenship.
The Resident Return Visa has a 12 month travel capacity. Please be aware that:
- you can be outside of Australia for a up to 90 days of the 12 months, with some work-related exceptions.
- you must renew your RRV online if you are travelling overseas after the initial 12 months
- DO NOT re-enter Australia after the Must Not Arrive After date on your Visa Grant Notice. You will become an SCV-holder again and may have to wait another year, after renewing your RRV, before applying for citizenship.
- If you are travelling overseas after the 12 month anniversary date has passed you will need to renew your RRV. If necessary, you can renew online before re-entering Australia.
You can check your visa status using Visa Entitlement Verification Online (VEVO).
How to renew your Resident Return Visa
Renew your RRV online to avoid the $80 non-internet application fee:
- Create an ImmiAccount
- Log into your ImmiAccount
- Select the New Application button
- Select Resident Return
- Complete the application form and identity declaration
- The RRV application fee is $360, there is no concession or child fee
- Your passport must be valid for at least another six months
- Renewals take 1-2 days to be processed, but allow up to two weeks
- You should not need to supply a written statement or any supporting documents
Check your visa status using Visa Entitlement Verification Online (VEVO)
If you would like to know more about RRV refer to Resident Return visa (subclasses 155 and 157)
Have a question?
Phone the Department of Immigration on 13 18 81 or contact them via social media. Please do not provide your personal details on a public forum.
Oz Kiwi is run by volunteers and entirely funded by public donations. Donations can be made via PayPal or credit card.