The Government is planning to introduce citizenship changes into the Parliament by the end of 2017 requiring Permanent Residents to reside for four years. However, all proposed changes that pass in the Parliament will apply to citizenship applications received on or after 20 April 2017.
Anyone granted RRV who re-enters Australia beyond the Must Not Arrive After date on their Visa Grant Notice will become an SCV-holder again. They must reapply for RRV and reside for another year as a permanent resident before applying for citizenship. (Four years if the citizenship changes are passed).
Resident Return Visa travel capacity
Being granted a Resident Return Visa (RRV) makes you a permanent resident, allowing you to reside in Australia indefinitely. However, you must renew your RRV travel capacity if travelling overseas after the initial 12 months. Standard processing time is 3 to 8 days.
New Zealanders re-entering Australia without renewing their RRV will be issued a Special Category Visa. This may delay them from applying for citizenship. Even if you have a valid travel facility, ask the Immigration official to confirm you hold a permanent visa.
The Resident Return Visa has a 12 month travel capacity. Please be aware that:
- you can be outside of Australia for a up to 90 days of the 12 months, with some work-related exceptions.
- you must renew your RRV online if you are travelling overseas after the initial 12 months
- DO NOT re-enter Australia after the Must Not Arrive After date on your Visa Grant Notice. You will become an SCV-holder again and may have to wait another year, after renewing your RRV, before applying for citizenship.
- If you are travelling overseas after the 12 month anniversary date has passed you will need to renew your RRV. If necessary, you can renew online before re-entering Australia.
You can check your visa status using Visa Entitlement Verification Online (VEVO).
How to renew your Resident Return Visa
Renew your RRV online to avoid the $80 non-internet application fee:
- Create an ImmiAccount
- Log into your ImmiAccount
- Select the New Application button
- Select Resident Return
- Complete the application form and identity declaration
- The RRV application fee is $360 (increasing to $365 from 1 July 2017), there is no concession or child fee
- Your passport must be valid for at least another six months
- Renewals take 3-8 days to be processed, but allow up to two weeks
- You should not need to supply a written statement or any supporting documents
- After being a permanent resident for two of the last five years you will be granted a five-year travel facility when renewing your RRV
Check your visa status using Visa Entitlement Verification Online (VEVO)
If you would like to know more about RRV refer to Resident Return visa (subclasses 155 and 157)
Have a question?
Phone the Department of Immigration on 13 18 81 or contact them via social media. Please do not provide your personal details on a public forum.
Oz Kiwi is run by volunteers and entirely funded by public donations. Donations can be made via PayPal or credit card.