The new permanent visa for New Zealanders has a name!


The Department of Home Affairs (DHA) have provided some advice for our supporters about the information and supporting documents they require for the NZ 189 Visa.

Breaking news

19 May 2017

The new permanent visa for New Zealanders, available from 1 July 2017, is called the Skilled Independent 189 (New Zealand) Stream.

To be eligible for the new permanent visa, the primary applicant must:

The primary applicant can include their partner and dependent children on the application. Partners and children only need to meet the health, character and security checks.

After the 1 July 2017 you can apply online by creating an ImmiAccount.

Applicants can apply for citizenship after one year as this visa is exempt from the proposed citizenship changes.

Please note

The taxable income threshold is $51,000 for the 2012/2013 financial year, subsequent years are $53,900.

If the primary applicant does not meet the income threshold/income exemption criteria they cannot apply.

Find out more

Applying for the new permanent visa (189)

Update on NZ 189 visa queries


RRV or the new visa option?

More information about the additional pathway to permanent residence is available on the Department of Home Affairs website.

Protected Special Category Visa-holders can apply directly for citizenship subject to meeting the residency and character requirements.

Have a question?

Email the 189 (NZ) stream processing team, phone the Department of Home Affairs on 13 18 81 or contact them via social media. Please do not provide your personal details on a public forum.


Oz Kiwi is run by volunteers and entirely funded by public donations. Please consider donating to help Oz Kiwi lobby on behalf of New Zealanders living in Australia.

Thank you for your support.


The above “New Permanent Visa” information should not be relied on as an alternative to advice from the Department of Home Affairs, or a professional immigration services provider.

If you have any specific questions about an immigration matter, you should consult the Department of Home Affairs or a professional immigration services provider.

Comments are closed.