Specialist processing team
A specialist team has been set up in Adelaide to process the 189 (NZ) stream visa.
This is something that Oz Kiwi specifically asked for, and the Department of Home Affairs (DHA) obliged, so we thank them for their co-operation with this. We also thank the New Zealand Government for their assistance in liaising with DHA over the processing of the 189 visa.
The specialist team has been trained on the 189 (NZ) stream visa and are qualified to provided answers specific to this visa, their knowledge should be utilised. Use the Troubleshooting tool within the 189 visa online application to submit your queries to DHA.
Answers to your queries
We have received the following answers to queries about the 189 (NZ) stream visa application process, other responses will be confirmed in due course:
- You must provide ATO Notices of Assessment for the four most recently completed income years immediately prior to application but we would recommend providing the last five years. You will be asked for your 2016-2017 ATO Notice of Assessment if you did not include it with your visa application.
- even though the online form captures your education, employment and travel history all applicants aged over 16 must also complete and sign Character Assessment Form 80 and provide your Curriculum Vitae.
- you must provide a NZ criminal history check with your application, regardless of how long you’ve lived in Australia.
- New Zealand Ministry of Justice Consent to Disclosure of Information form. The MoJ request ID number is shown on your NZ police check.
- there is no need to provide evidence of custody of children if you are married to, or in a de facto relationship with the other parent of that child. This was a technical glitch.
- you must set up an ImmiAccount in order to apply for the visa.
- Special Category Visa-holders do not need a Bridging Visa, but family members may. Read the After you apply information on DHA’s website to find out about travel restrictions and Bridging Visas.
You must provide evidence that you meet the five year residency requirement:
- include a certified copy your passport (old/current) with the entry date stamp; OR
- obtain your travel records, there’s no cost.
You can never provide too much information, but failure to provide ALL the required information and supporting documents when submitting your application can cause a processing delay of many weeks. Ensure you include:
- a certified copy of your passport photo page (your passport must be valid for at least another six months)
- NZ police check, regardless of how long you’ve lived in Australia
- Form 80 and a copy of your Curriculum Vitae
- ATO Notices of Assessment for the last five consecutive years or proof of your eligibility for an income exemption
- your health check.
The Department of Home Affairs (DHA) will be adding a troubleshooting tool to the visa online application. In the meantime, if you have query about your application you can email the 189 (NZ) stream processing team.
Applicants have reported a processing time of 4 to 6 months. Failure to provide all the required supporting documents when submitting your application can cause a delay of many weeks.
Find out more
More information about the additional pathway to permanent residence is available on the Department of Home Affairs website.
Have a question?
Oz Kiwi is run by volunteers and entirely funded by public donations. Donations can be made via PayPal or credit card.