The New Zealand Stream 189 visa is an Australian permanent visa for New Zealand Special Category Visa-holders.
16 November 2018
The Department of Home Affairs has provided information about the number of New Zealand 189 Visas they have processed. Between 1 July 2017 and 30 September 2018:
- 12,817 applications were submitted
- 5,627 visas were granted (44%)
- 606 visas were refused (5%)
Of the 5,627 visas granted, 2,584 were to primary applicants and 3,043 were secondary applicants. At 30 September 2018 there were 6,584 (51%) applications pending.
Interestingly, the highest number of applications (1,091) were processed in June 2018, in time for the end of the 2017-2018 financial year.
Reported processing times for the New Zealand 189 Visa, as at November 2018:
Are you eligible?
To be eligible for the New Zealand 189 visa, the primary applicant must:
- be a non-protected Special Category Visa-holder
- have started residing in Australia on or before 19 February 2016
- have resided in Australia for the last five years immediately prior to applying
- have earned taxable income of at least $53,900 in each of the last four financial years, or qualify for an income exemption
- meet the standard health and character and security checks.
Find out more about the eligibility criteria, in particular income exemptions you can’t claim.