01 March 2019
Today Immigration Minister David Coleman announced that applications to sponsor a parent for a Sponsored Parent Temporary Visa 870 will be open from 17 April 2019.
To be eligible for the visa, a parent must be the biological, adoptive, or step-parent of the sponsor, who must be an:
- Australian citizen; or
- Australian permanent resident; or
- Protected Special Category Visa-holder.
Refer to the Home Affairs website for more information about the Sponsored Parent Temporary Visa (870).
- 15,000 Sponsored Parent Temporary Visas available annually.
- valid for 3 or 5 years at a cost of $5,000 and $10,000 respectively.
- renewable for a maximum of 10 years.
New Zealand citizens entering Australia are automatically granted a Special Category Visa, subject to meeting certain character and health checks.
Non-protected Special Category Visa-holders can sponsor their partner and children for a Family Relationship Visa (461).